Sunday, May 30, 2010

Bacon cookies... yum

I know... two posts within a day!  But it has been a busy day!  Between the book shopping and chicken stock making... I decided to make cookies for my neighbors who are wonderful enough to mow my lawn.  And, cookies always seem to be a nice thank you.  

So, I decided to make bacon spice cookies with some left over bacon fat that we had stored in freezer.  It looked like a interesting recipe and I thought that since we were well stocked on bacon fat that this might be the time to use up some of the collection.  OK, so it is a multi-functional cookie. :)

The BF voted them yummy but would like some chocolate in them sans spice.  So, I will have to play with the recipe and chocolate.

Here is the recipe.  It isn't a BACON flavor - rather a nice smokey spice cookie - some what like gingerbread with a smokiness.

Bacon Fat Spice Cookies


  • 1 1/4 cup flour 
  • 1/2 cup sugar 
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt 
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves 
  • 1/2 cup bacon fat 
  • 2 tablespoons molasses 
  • 1 egg
Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine flour, sugar, salt and spices in a food processor and pulse to mix. Add bacon fat, molasses and egg, pulse until mixture forms a soft dough. Make into small balls, about a tablespoon of dough, and place them on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Flatten balls slightly - with your hand or a fork.

Bake the cookies for 10-12 min, until they are browning around the edges. Cool and store in a airtight container up to 1 week.

And if you still have a lot of bacon fat left over, like I do, you can season your cast iron pans.

Since I was heating the oven anyway for cookies - I put some bacon fat on the cast iron pan and stuck it in the oven while the oven was heating up and some of the time the cookies were baking.  It doesn't turn rancid, at least it doesn't for us. But, then again, I use the cast iron pan for everything and wash it with soap (shock!).   :)

1 comment: