Sunday, October 31, 2010

Pork Chops Saltimbocca with Sautéed Spinach

We had this for dinner tonight... I was going to post on something else but it was SO GOOD that I just had to share.  Sorry I don't have any pictures buts we just ate it way too fast... it is that yummy.

I've made this twice now and I think the modified version is much better.  But then again I love prosciutto and while I thought the original recipe from Gourmet is very good - I just needed more cheese and prosciutto. :)

Note about the cheese:  Apparently there is Fontina and Fontinella, do not confuse the two, they taste very different.  Although both will melt well and if you accidentally brought Fontinella (which I did the first time I made this) it still tastes good. Fontina is much richer and creamer, so I think it tastes better. ;)

Pork Chops Saltimbocca with Sauteed Spinach

  • 2  pork chops - boneless works easiest, but I've done it with bone-in as well.
  • 2 sage leaves, finely chopped (can use dried - about a 1 teaspoon)
  • 2 very thin slices Italian Fontina 
  • 2 thin slices prosciutto (1 ounce) 
  • 3 tablespoons butter 
  • 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped 
  • 1 (10-ounce) fresh spinach, stems discarded (or less depending on how much you like spinach)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces 
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 
Preheat oven to 450°F with rack in middle.

Pat chops dry and cut a deep, wide pocket in each pork chop.  Sprinkle sage into each pocket and stuff pockets with cheese and prosciutto. Season with 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper. (You don't want to over salt as the the prosciutto is quite salty as well)

In a ovenproof skillet, heat butter and cook one side of the chops until it is golden brown.  Flip over, put on some more prosciutto (a slice or so), cheese and a bit of sage.  Stick into the oven to roast.

Roast until cooked through, about 5 minutes.

While chops cook:
Heat butter in a 5-qt pot over medium heat. Sauté garlic until pale golden, about 30 seconds. Add spinach and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Season with salt.

Plate pork and spinach.  Drizzle a little bit of lemon juice on both.  Serve.

1 comment:

  1. very yummy. i will contest a small detail, in that the chops were still a tiny bit pink, leaving them tender and juicy.

    ReplyDelete