Monday, June 28, 2010

Pulled Beef Short Ribs

ok, ok, ok... I don't know why I've been making such time intensive meals the last few days.  But, I had a taste for short ribs.  And, all the recipes I have had carrots in them.   One thing we didn't have are carrots.  Apparently, I've been on a carrot kick and the BF is somewhat sick of them.  So, I was banned from buying carrots this weekend at the farmer's market.  *grin*

We did have onions, beer and lemons.  OMG - this ended up SO good!  But, it is a LOT of work compared with other beef short rib recipes.  I use two different pans for this. 1) cast iron skillet to brown up the ribs and 2) cast iron Dutch oven for the braising - but if you don't want the extra clean up you can do it all in the Dutch oven.

Also, you can break this out into multiple days which we ended up doing by accident.  I didn't realize that separating the meat and bone would make so much of a difference in both taste and ease of eating.  Although, I'm sure you can figure out the later when you have the short rib still on the bone.  If your doing this all in one day, it will take about 5 or 6 hours.

Beer Braised Pulled Short Ribs

  • 3 pounds beef short ribs
  • 1 good porter - I highly recommend Bell's
  • 1 really large onion (or two normal sized ones) - sliced thinly
  • 2 garlic - sliced thinly
  • 3 thick slices of lemon
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 celery stick - chopped roughly
  • parsley (if you have fresh great! you just need a few sprigs - if not - about 3-4 tbsp dry)
  • chicken stock or water - enough to cover the short ribs well (approximately 3 cups)
  • bacon fat - enough to brown up the beef and saute the onions

Preheat oven to 300 F.

Salt and pepper the beef and brown in a pan. I use two different pans for this, a fry pan to brown the beef and a dutch oven to braise the ribs. If you choose to use only the dutch oven, then pull out the beef and set it on the side and then saute the onions.  Otherwise, heat up the dutch oven while the meat is browning and saute the onions.

Add garlic to the onions and stir it for about a minute.  Add beer to onions and garlic mixture, cook down a bit (about 5 min).  Add beef and bring liquid to a soft boil/simmer.

Place pot in the oven for 2 hrs.  And, if you are like me and working from home - back to work you go. Otherwise - do whatever you would normally do for the next 2 hours. TV anyone? 

Pull it out of the oven and let it cool to room temperature so that you can handle the meat.  You can even pull the meat out and place it on a separate plate to cool.

When you can easily hold the meat in your hands - remove the gristle and bones. Place the meat in one container, the bones in another and the gristle in the garbage. If you are doing this over multiple days, place the meat in the fridge.  

Put the bones into the dutch oven with the juices/liquid that has been there from the braising
simmer/low boil the bones and liquid until liquid is 1/2 to 3/4 gone (this is a few hours - depending upon how high you have the heat).

Strain the liquid and add the meat which you have either pulled by hand or you can pull with a fork
cook until liquid is all gone.

Now you can do this in many stages over a few days and it will taste better for it.  The lemon isn't overwhelming - but it does make the house smell lemony.  Which is a good thing, no? ;)

I really need to get a new camera so I can take pictures of the food... but that is on hold for a bit.  So, I'll just put up random images unless the BF is sweet and takes a picture of the meal.

3 comments:

  1. the bf was too hungry to take a photo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm ribs. I recently re-discovered ribs, after a decade hiatus, wherein I wrongly believed that they were "bad for you" to consume. Last Friday night, after I landed in Phoenix from a day of trans-con flights, Trac took me to Wild Thaiger in Central Phoenix. They had Thai Ribs on their menu. Having grazed on Marcona Almonds throughout the flight, I as partially hungry, not ravenous, so I got a "1/2" order of these spicy ribs... and a "1/2" filled a 12 inch platter. I would have been frightened to see what a "Full" order would look like. Licked the bones clean, left the rice sitting there on the side of the plate. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea! re-discovery. :)

    what are thai ribs?

    ReplyDelete