Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Crockpot beef with tomatillo


The weather is getting colder and tomatillo's are in season.  I was looking for a dish that I could use up the beef stew meat I had put out to thaw and just stick in a crock pot to sort out later for dinner.   Google being my friend, I found a lot of dishes that seemed to fit my needs but didn't quite fit what I felt like eating.   I wanted something with a warm, Mexican and almost taco-esque feel to it.   So, I took a few different recipes and came up with this shredded beef with tomatillo recipe.  Also, I do not like the taste of onions after it has been in the crock pot all day.. so I do not put them during the cooking.  You are welcome to do so if the taste doesn't bother you. :)


Shredded Beef with Tomatillo

  • 1 to 1.5 pounds Stew meat 
  • 1 quart tomatillo puree (you can make this by blending tomatillo's in a blender)
  • 4 tomatillo's - quartered
  • 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder (give or take to taste)
  • salt to taste
  • 2 teaspoons cumin seeds (these were an accident, the plan was to put in coriander powder - but it was morning.  *grin*)
  • chili powder, to taste
Toss all the above into a crock pot in the morning and set on low. 

When you come home, separate the beef from the liquid.

  • 1 sliced onion 
  • 1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
In a pan, heat some oil/butter toss in the onion and brown. Add the liquid and simmer to desired thickness.  While sauce is thickening,  shred the beef.  I do this by hand, but you can use two forks.  Once the sauce is at the desired thickness, toss in the beef.  Stir.  Taste for salt.   Add cilantro.  

Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment