Wednesday, May 29, 2013

GF country fried steak

I had some round steak that was thawed and I needed a quick meal.  Normally, with round steak, I do a braise as it is a bit of a tough cut.    But, late nights at work - do not make for braising recipe.  So, google to the rescue.

I found this recipe from Pioneer woman.  I've done a few recipes from her site and they have turned out well.  So, this recipe has some unusual ingredients - but you can sub with what you have.

The unusual ingredients:
  • garbanzo bean and fava bean flour  - I used Bob's Red Mill
  • water chestnut flour - I bought from the Indian store in Chicago's Devon neighboorhood

Country Fried Steak

  • 1.5 pound round steak, tenderized
  • 1/4 cup  garbanzo/fava flour
  • 1/4 cup water chestnut flour
  • salt to taste
  • pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/3 cup fat - I used olive oil (not extra virgin) but would suggest you do your research due to conserns about overheating oil
Trim and tenderize your steaks. I added a bit of salt and pepper at the tenderizing (read pound the heck out) stage.

In a small bowl, mix your flours, salt and pepper.  Set up a plate, flour it.  Place a steak on the plate, flour the other side.  Flip and make sure it's well coated.  I usually do a bit of flour at a time so as not to waste the mixutre.  As long as it doesn't have meat juices on it, you can use the flour at another point. Perhaps for more steaks? :)

heat oil to temp (I went up to about 350 - due to the Olive oil).  When hot, place steaks in to cook.  Do not crowd.  Have a plate to the side - and if you want a paper napkin to place the steaks after they cook.  Cook up.  About 5 min to each side.

Serve while hot.

Note: cut into pieces - you can put it on the top of a salad and it is very yummy cold and crunchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment