Thursday, March 29, 2012

Italian Beef

I have been craving Italian Beef... those thin, juicy, tasty slices of meat in sauce. yum.

So, of course, I've been looking for a good recipe.... and thinking I had a roast in the freezer. I knew I was all set once I found this recipe on Paupered Chef.

Ummm... I know I use to have a roast in the freezer.  Did we really eat them all? Oh, no! But, I need Italian beef.  So, while my version does not use a roast.. I would highly recommend you have one. It's tasty either way... but cutting up a round steak into nice thin slices... madness! :)




Italian Beef


  • 2 1/2 pounds beef round or beef sirloin tip roast (or if you are crazy: round steak)
  • 1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 teaspoons dried basil
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 quart water
  • salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 450f.
Mix basil, red pepper flakes, oregano and garlic.  Rub meat with spices. 

Crazy people version:
put steaks in oven and roast for 10 min.
lower oven to 250f. 
add water to roasting pan, cover with foil.  Cook for 1.5 hrs, turning occasionally.
remove foil, cook for another 30 min. or so. 
pull out of the oven, put liquids in a pan to cook down.  And start slicing the meat as thin as possible.
I know that P.Chef put his in the freezer - but it really seemed like more work and waiting than I wanted to do.

Once all the beef is sliced, put it in the pan to meld the juices with the meat.  Serve.

Normal people, please follow the chef as I haven't tried this yet.  But, I will.


No comments:

Post a Comment